This Is Why Your Baby Was Born with a Flat Head
Have you noticed that your baby’s head is flat? This happens to many newborns, so don’t be scared; it does not affect their brain development. The reason could be related to the process of being born or the position they sleep in for the first months of their life.
Flat Head: Causes and Results
- During childbirth, the bones of your child’s skull are soft and flexible. This is necessary to allow their head to exit the birth canal. It could, therefore, change its shape, making it appear flat on one side.
- It’s also possible for your child’s head to become flat because of sleeping in their crib or stroller for a long time on the same side.
- In 97 percent of cases, the flat shape of the head disappears before the child turns two.
How Can You Tell If Your Child’s Head Is Flat?
- To discern this, just keep a close eye on the shape of their head. However, remember that the flat part of their head could be one side of the back of their head, the whole back of their head, or one side of the front of their head.
- To reassure yourself, consult a pediatrician. The doctor will determine whether your child’s condition is normal or if they have some problem.
- In rare cases, a child’s flat head is linked to a congenital problem with the bones in the skull. This will prompt the doctor to take the necessary measures to treat it.
What’s the Treatment?
First, know that there’s no drug or surgery for a flat head that is not linked to a congenital problem in children. Specialists usually advise you to take these precautions:
- Keep a close eye on them so they don’t always sleep in the same position in their crib, stroller, or car seat . . .
- Hang a musical mobile over their crib or seat in a direction they don’t usually face; this will make them change their position to follow the sound.
- As soon as your child’s neck is strong enough to support their head, help them with this exercise: have them lie on their stomach three times a day for ten to fifteen minutes, supervised.
- A specialist might ask you to buy a small pillow for them. This will prevent them from getting a flat head when they sleep on their back.