You’re pregnant, and this is why your fundal height is measured
Why is fundal height is measured during pregnancy? Have you ever thought of it? In fact, the doctor does it as part of your regular check-up. Through this, she wants to know if your pregnancy is going well or not.
Your fundal height… This is what it indicates
What does fundal height measurement mean?
- It’s the measurement of the distance between your pubic bone and the top of the uterus.
- The doctor concludes that your pregnancy is going normal if the measurement result is equal to the number of your pregnancy months multiplied by 4. For example, if you are in your seventh month, you multiply 7 by 4 and the result is 28.
- Watch out. The measurement result may be affected by your baby’s position. If they’re in transverse lie in your uterus, this will lead to shorter measurement of your fundal height.
- When in doubt about your baby’s growth, the doctor will perform more accurate tests.
Short fundal height
- What does it mean to have a short fundal height? It could indicate that there isn’t enough amniotic fluid. This is the fluid in which your baby swims in your uterus.
- This could indicate that the size of the fetal and its weight are not in line with the duration of the pregnancy.
- This could affect the growth of their lungs.
- If accurate tests confirm a deficiency, the doctor takes regular measures she sees appropriate to treat the problem based on the stage of your pregnancy.
Long fundal height
- If the measurement shows that the fundal height in a certain stage of your pregnancy is longer than it should be, this does not necessarily mean the fetus is big.
- It could indicate that your uterus has an excessive amount of amniotic fluid. It could be due to a defect in their digestive system or central nervous system.
- This could be connected to having type one diabetes.
- However, it is better to undergo thorough tests that prove or disprove this. If it is confirmed that your fetus has a problem, the medical team will take the necessary measures.