Mistakes you make when picking a name for your baby
Before picking your baby’s name, watch out for some mistakes you may commit without noticing. All you have to do is pick a suitable name that does not expose them to ridicule later on, that both you and them will be comfortable with. It’s time to become aware of these mistakes in order to avoid them.
Mistakes to avoid
Other people’s opinions
- Of course, it is important to seek the advice of those around you when it’s time to pick a name for your baby. But you shouldn’t try to please everyone. Let them know that their opinions matter but the final decision is yours and your husband’s.
- Make sure you don’t show the list of names you’ve prepared to your expecting friends or relatives; they may beat you to picking one of them.
- If you choose a historical name for your newborn, make sure you don’t go for a name of an unloved or ridiculed personality in your country.
- You don’t have to name your baby after your favourite star if their name is too strange or if it could be easily ridiculed when slightly modified.
- Try not to name them after a TV personality. They may acquire their personal attributes no matter what they are.
- Don’t burden your child with your memories. Meaning: don’t name them after someone you want to remember, such as your father or mother. Their names may be old-fashioned and they may not like it when they grow up.
- You’re making a big mistake if you’re looking for your baby’s name in a foreign-language novel. It may not be common and may subject them to mockery from their friends in the future.
- It is better not to look for very strange names. Strange names can be subject to funny interpretation, and may be mispronounced by many. Think thoroughly before giving your baby a name that’ll accompany them their whole life.