At the beginning of the eighth month of pregnancy, you’ll begin to prepare your hospital bag. You’ll gather up the things you’ll need when you go to the hospital, and you’ll pack everything you can fit to help welcome your baby into the world.
What You Need
- Four wide nightgowns or long sweaters that can be opened at the chest.
- Jacket, socks and pyjama pants to protect you from the cold.
- A scarf and a long, comfortable house jacket. You will need them to move around inside your room.
- Two towels and a washcloth.
- Extra underwear. You will need to change it because of the discharge you’ll experience after delivery.
- Two nursing bras.
- Ointment containing lanolin to rub on nipples.
- Box of nursing pads. These are soft pads in the shape of a folded elbow which can support your baby’s head while you are nursing.
- Highly absorbent sanitary pads.
- Body wash and shampoo.
- Tissues, scented and unscented.
- Toothbrush and toothpaste.
- Moisturizing face cream and hand cream.
- Hair brush and small mirror.
- Book or magazine to entertain yourself.
What Your Baby Needs
- Five sets of sleeping clothes that will make your baby feel warm and comfortable.
- Cotton hat.
- Cotton underwear.
- Two soft blankets to protect them from the hospital cold and for when you leave.
- Special socks and gloves for newborns.
- Three little towels to put on your shoulder when you are burping your baby after nursing.
- Towels for drying your baby after bathing.
- Two or three bibs to protect your clothing from getting dirty.
- An adequate number of diapers.
- Gentle soap and shampoo for babies.
For the Dad
- Don’t forget to prepare a baby carrier with a soft, comfortable padded lining.
- Put a baby seat in your car.