You know well that your child’s skin is very sensitive, especially in the diaper area. That area, especially the back, often suffers from irritation and redness. That hurts your little one, of course, and makes them cry. So it’s essential to get rid of the problem and the resulting discomfort at the same time.
Why Does the Skin Get Red?
When you take off your baby’s diaper, your first thought might be that your baby’s bottom looks burnt; appearing severely red and painful. And you’ll wonder: What is that? And what happened?
- Don’t panic. When you leave your baby’s wet diaper on for a long time, they could wind up with a skin infection. This usually happens during their first months.
- If you do this but are unable to get rid of the problem, take a close look at their diaper. It could be tight, or just the wrong diaper for them.
- If you discover that the diaper is not the cause of their rash, consult a pediatrician. A check-up could reveal that they’re suffering from digestive disorders.
- Don’t forget that the development of their teeth could cause the problem, too; it increases the acidity of their urine and stool.
- Be careful about what products you use to clean their clothes. They could potentially contain materials that are irritating their skin.
How Can You Help Them?
What will bother you most is that your child is uncomfortable and in pain, so you’ll do everything in your power to comfort them. So what should you do if they have a painful diaper rash?
- Don’t forget to change their dirty diapers regularly.
- Don’t rub the skin of their bottom when you clean it. It’s better to pat it dry.
- Of course, choose their diapers with care. Pay attention not to buy any made with rubber or nylon, which prevent their skin from breathing.
- Clean their clothes with products without any ingredients that could cause allergic reactions.
- Try to buy clothes that are 100% cotton.
- Keep a close eye on their skin, and ask their doctor to find out if they’re suffering from any skin allergy.
- Break the habit of cleaning their bottom with moist, scented wipes. They often contain ingredients that cause irritation and redness of the skin there.
A Helpful Tip
When your child’s skin is irritated and red, remove their diaper and wait a little while before putting a new one on.