The months of your pregnancy are passing, and every day you feel closer to your due date. You’re placing a lot of importance on your diet. You know that this is linked to the safe development of your child. But did you know that it was your job to be careful when eating certain foods?
- If you like them, be careful; eating products made from unpasteurised milk could cause you to develop listeriosis, an infection that causes foetal illness, premature birth, or death.
- In spite of this, don’t cut them out entirely. You need calcium, but the products must be pasteurised.
- Do you like sushi? Forget about it during your pregnancy, as it could transmit the Listeria bacteria to you.
- Stop eating raw oysters; they could expose you to the hepatitis A virus.
- Check on the type of fish you’ve chosen before you eat it. For example, you can’t eat swordfish more than once a week because it is high in mercury.
- Because tuna is necessary, it’s best to eat it in cans.
Meals of raw meat may be appealing, but they are not appropriate for your pregnancy.
- Eating it could cause you and your foetus to become infected with toxoplasmosis.
- This calls for your concern as it means the possibility of abnormality, blindness, epilepsy, mental retardation or death.
Do you buy sweets that contain raw eggs?
- Don’t forget that this causes listeriosis or salmonella poisoning, both of which could cause a premature birth.
- Choose sweets that don’t contain eggs; this is less dangerous.
- But don’t eat too many of them to avoid gestational diabetes.
Other Foods and Drinks
- Vegetables and fruits: Clean them well to prevent toxoplasmosis.
- Spices: If you want to avoid a miscarriage or premature birth, watch out for ginger, cinnamon, parsley and liquorice.
- Soy: Don’t forget to eat it in moderation. It contains plant oestrogen that could cause the disruption of your foetus’ hormonal system.
- Caffeine: You don’t do without your coffee, but remember that consuming a lot of caffeine causes a reduction in your foetus’ size.
- Energy drinks: Be careful with them, as they may cause a premature birth.
- Sweetened juices: Say goodbye to them to avoid getting gestational diabetes.