You have reached your third trimester of pregnancy, which means that your new baby will be arriving soon. But what about your firstborn? How do you tell them that a new family member will also need your passion and attention? Of course, you can’t do this without planning, but rather, you should carefully study every step you take, as it is not an easy matter for your firstborn and might affect their personality.
Break the news to them gradually
- It would be too early talking to your firstborn about their sibling’s arrival during the first trimester of pregnancy; wait at least until your baby bump starts showing.
- To reveal the secret of your pregnancy, take advantage of some surrounding events, such as the pregnancy of a teacher at their nursery or school or a birth of a new child in your close family. You can say, “Your friend Sam has a new sister now. That’s going to happen with our family as well.” This can reduce or prevent shocks.
- Give your firstborn, in the advanced stages of your pregnancy, a chance to share with you the happiness of your fetus’ movements in your belly, as well as to help you in preparing for their sibling’s arrival.
- Tell them, whenever they touch your belly, that their sibling says hello to them and cannot wait to meet them soon. This will help reduce their hostility towards the newborn.
- Rest assured that your baby’s intelligence helps make them aware of what is happening in their surroundings. Which is why they may behave aggressively towards you during your pregnancy. They might even behave aggressively towards their friends in the nursery or school.
- Make some time to talk to them so they can feel your love. Tell them that you waited for their arrival to this world so passionately. You can also look through your photo albums for their first days together.
- Express your feelings to them verbally so they can feel safe and assured that they still have a place in your heart.