5 Benefits for having a multilingual family
Is your family multilingual? It’s normal to see it as something positive, and it is. Being multilingual has many benefits. For example, it helps develop your children’s culture and increases their ability to learn.
Many benefits for your children learning more than one language
1 Mental development
- Keep in mind that language helps develop your child’s knowledge.
- Keep in mind that their ability to think in two different languages or more is an important exercise for their brain.
- Code-switching, or quickly alternating between vocabulary of these two languages in speech, can contribute greatly to developing their mental abilities.
2 Cognitive development
- Whenever your family members master a new language, they can acquire additional information.
- This increases their ability to learn and achieve academically.
- When they go to university, they will have more options that those available to monolingual students.
- They can also get better job opportunities.
3 Cultural and social diversity
- Having multilingual children means they will be able to get to know different cultures.
- As such, they can interact with multilingual people directly or through social media. It is normal in this case that they explore new habits and ways of thinking. This will also allow them to make fruitful friendships around the world.
- It will also help them read books written in languages they speak, which will allow them to be widely educated in fields like science and arts.
4 Travel… better
- Everybody needs to use a foreign language when they travel. Which is why being multilingual will make traveling with family easier.
- This way, you can communicate with people living in your destination, from the airport to shops, restaurants and tourist destinations… This will make it more fun and comfortable.