What you don’t know about weight and fertility
How does being overweight affect your fertility? Actually, obesity can prevent pregnancy. So if you’re planning on having a baby and you’re overweight, you better follow a balanced diet and work out to overcome this problem.
Obesity and pregnancy… What’s the connection between them?
What does being overweight mean?
- Being overweight can affect your fertility It starts when your BMI is over 25. You can calculate that by dividing your weight by the square of your height in meters.
- So if you weight 74 kilograms, and you’re 1.67 meters, your BMI is 74/2.78=26.6. In this case, you’ll have to try to lose weight before considering getting pregnant.
How does being overweight affect fertility?
- When fats accumulate in your body, they affect your hormonal balance So your ovulation and the quality of your eggs declines.
- Your period may become irregular if you’re overweight. In fact, it may disappear temporarily in cases of obesity.
- So pay attention to your health, as obesity can also lead to ovarian cysts. It can also increase chances of miscarriage if you’re pregnant.
- Obesity can also reduce the effectiveness of medical treatments that increase your fertility. A recent study indicates that a woman in her twenties with 15 kilograms of extra weight has the same chances of pregnancy of a woman in her forties’ of a normal weight.