When you find out that you’re pregnant, you wonder what sorts of foods you can eat; it’s not just linked to your health anymore, but to your foetus’ development, too. So—how do you choose beneficial foods?
The First Trimester
- At the end, the formation of your foetus’ organs, limbs, muscles and bones accelerates.
- You feel extremely hungry sometimes, and other times you lose your appetite.
- You often get tired.
Your body needs:
Folic acid or vitamin B9
- It’s essential for your foetus’ cell division, their red blood cell formation and the development of their nervous system.
- To get it, eat green vegetables like spinach, chicory and broccoli.
- Add eggs and fruit like oranges, bananas and kiwi.
- To get it, eat grilled red meat.
- To help your body absorb it, eat fruit rich in vitamin C like oranges and kiwi.
The Second Trimester
- Your foetus’ nerve cells are multiplying quickly.
- They’re growing.
- The formation of the bones in the spinal column continues.
- The nervous system develops.
- You feel energized and regain your appetite.
Your body needs:
- Eat grilled red meat, chicken or fish.
- Add eggs, cheese and dairy.
- Eat boiled chickpeas with spices, lentil soup, boiled or grilled potatoes…
- It contributes to the development of your foetus’ bones, muscles and neurological functions.
- It prevents a rise in blood pressure.
- To get it, drink milk and eat yoghurt and white cheese.
- Don’t forget to fulfil your need for vitamin D; it boosts your body’s absorption of calcium, so eat egg yolks and drink milk.
- It is considered essential for the formation of your foetus’ bones and, later, teeth.
- It gives you energy.
- It contributes to the formation of your foetus’ cells, nerves and muscles.
- It boosts their heart and liver function.
- To get it, focus on grilled fish and salads with green vegetables.
- Eat a piece of dark chocolate once a day.
The Third Trimester
- Your foetus gets into position for birth, and their development speeds up.
- Their mind uses 70% of the nutrients present in your body.
Omega 3 Acid
- It boosts the safe development of your foetus’ mind and nervous system.
- It helps your body store breast milk.
- To provide it, add walnut oil to your salads.
- Eat sardines, tuna and grilled salmon.