When Should You Decide to Bottle-Feed?
Bottle-feeding with breastfeeding? Is that possible? Yes, and it is called mixed feeding. In this case, your child gets both breast milk and baby formula. But when should you resort to this solution?
Bottle-Feeding and Breastfeeding Together
What Is Mixed Feeding?
- This means giving your child baby formula in conjunction with breast milk.
- It is a solution you can resort to if you work outside your home or as you prepare to start the weaning stage.
When Should You Make the Decision to Bottle-Feed?
- If you don’t have compelling reasons like insufficient milk production, try not to give your child a bottle of formula until they’re six months old. Don’t make that decision except on these two conditions: your milk level is stable, and your child knows how to breastfeed In this case, they can transfer to a bottle easily.
The First Bottle—When and How?
- Have you made the decision to start using formula? Then have your baby start drinking one bottle of milk a day.
- It’s best to choose a bottle that provides a dose of milk similar to that of a breast. That will not encourage them to stop breastfeeding.
- After this stage and if your baby succeeds in doing it without any negative side effects on breastfeeding, add a second bottle of milk daily.
- To keep up your milk supply, take care to breastfeed them three to four times every twenty-four hours.
Helpful Tips for You
- You may make the decision to start bottle-feeding for a reason beyond your control, for example work and separation from your child for long hours.
- However, what should you do if your milk supply is high? The solution is to pump some of it and store it properly so it can be given to them in your absence.
- In contrast, be careful! If you only breastfeed your child once a day, your milk supply may decrease dramatically. We recommend that you try to feed them three to four times every twenty-four hours. The important thing is to try to balance between bottle-feeding and breastfeeding, taking into account your milk supply and your lifestyle.