Are you potty training your child? So try to avoid some mistakes that may be stopping them from succeeding. Of these mistakes, for example, deciding to do that the same time a big change is happening in the family’s life, or reprimanding them when they wet their clothes.
Mistakes to avoid while potty training your child
Mistake 1: Doing it too early
- Don’t rush into potty training your child. You don’t have to make the decision yourself.
- It’s better to let nature take its course. Rest assured that every child has their time for potty training.
Mistake 2: Starting to teach them hygiene while a big change is happening in the family’s life
- While learning rules of hygiene, especially using the toilet, your child is emotional and anxious. They’re constantly afraid they will wet their clothes without a diaper, for example.
- Don’t decide to push them to potty train when the family is undergoing a major change. For example, don’t do it when you’re moving into a new home, or when a new baby is born.
- In this case, they will feel emotional pressure because they’re experiencing many changes at the same time.
Mistake 3: Expressing disgust if they wet their clothes
- If you show your child that wetting their clothes is disgusting, this will be a shock to them.
- They may think you’re disgusted of them, not of the pee. This could weaken their confidence and love for you.
Mistake 4: Congratulating them if they use the toilet
- You may think you’re doing something good when you congratulate your child for being able to pee in the toilet, but you’re not.
- To them, it means that you’ll in turn punish them or be mad at them if they don’t do it the next time.
- Don’t forget that their ability to control their urinary system is something kids acquire gradually depending on their natural growth stages. So let them learn without feeling guilty or afraid of you.
- To do this, settle for a simple “good job”, and don’t overreact.
Mistake 5: Scolding them too harshly
- Keep in mind that your child is doing everything they can to learn basic hygiene with no diaper.
- However, if you scold them, they may lose their ability to control their urinary system for fear of punishment.
- They may have an adverse reaction and wet their clothes