You became a mom and took on a lot of the duties associated with your child; they need you to take care of all their needs: from food to changing diapers, baths, playing and sleep. Usually, you take care of all this on your own, but your life will be better and easier if your husband feels he can take his turn, too. It’s essential that you help him feel like a dad.
Aim for His Phone
No doubt your husband is keeping pace with the age of intelligent technology. So make use of it to make him feel like a dad:
- Put an application on his cell phone to present him with detailed information about the ways to care for children.
- On social media, share information and websites that give advice to parents about the best ways to deal with their children.
- While he’s away from the house, send him pictures and messages so that he knows what’s happening with your baby.
Invite Him to Parent alongside You
- Bathtime for your baby: Why not invite him to stay by your side during your baby’s bathtime? Ask him, for example, to help you dry them off and get their clothes ready…
- Choose your baby’s bedroom: If you’ve decided that your baby will sleep in their own room, don’t choose the furniture and equipment on your own. Ask your husband to set aside some time for that, as well.
- The changing bag: If you want to go out with your baby, ask your husband to take on the task of putting their things in the bag while you get your baby ready for going out.
- Waking up at night: Are you the only one waking up to feed your baby at night? It’s intuitive, but it’s better if your husband gets up to help. You may need to calm the baby if they’re in pain, and the father can fulfil that duty successfully.
- The weekend: On days off, you don’t have to always stay by your baby’s side. Their father can sit with them, too, play with them and get to know them better. This way, you have plenty of time to rest, relax in the tub, take care of yourself or take care of household chores.
If you have to take your baby to the doctor’s office, ask your husband come with you. This will allow him to stay informed about your baby’s health record.