All you need to know about acne during pregnancy
Acne is back during pregnancy. This is no surprise, you already know it’s normal. Still, the appearance of these little pimples is annoying. They affect your mood negatively and make you not want to look at yourself in the mirror. But why do they show up, and how do you deal with them?
Tips to deal with acne during pregnancy
Why do pimples appear?
- If you have oily skin, it may be secreting a lot of sebum. This causes your pores to clog, and therefore blackheads to appear. When these blackheads are subject to harmful bacteria attacks, acne happens.
- During pregnancy, acne may happen for other reasons, most notably hormonal changes.
Effects of hormonal changes
- You may be surprised to have pimples during your pregnancy if your skin wasn’t prone to it before. Rest assured, this is related to changes in the levels of your hormones.
- Don’t forget that the pregnancy hormone, progesterone, stimulates the secretion of sebum. Which is why you have acne on your face. Pimples may disappear for some time before coming back again.
- Pimples are annoying and frustrating. But be careful, don’t use any acne medications you had used before pregnancy. You need to consult your doctor.
- If you see a dermatologist, she can’t prescribe common acne medications for you. Some of them may have side effects on your pregnancy.
- Keep in mind that this is related to pregnancy and the changes it imposes on your body. The best way to deal with it is to follow strict rules to clean your skin.
- The most important rule is to be patient and wait. Things will undoubtedly go back to normal within a few weeks from your baby’s birth. This is because your body will regain its hormonal balance.